SoftLab First Meeting
A few weeks ago, the members of the softLab gathered for their first official meeting. We discussed our respective vision, expectations, and wishes for this new research space.
Things we talked about, in no specific order:
- To make space for theory and theoretical understandings of what "soft" means in technological, artistic, and craft making contexts;
- To provide feedback on projects and organize peer-to-peer discussions;
- Schedule skill sharing sessions;
- To make the softLab a resource space for people inside and outside UW (local practitioners, artists, researchers, tinkerers, makers and thinkers of all backgrounds);
- To equip this emerging community with a physical space to meet up and collaborate;
- To organize monthly "making nights" to simply group, share and make together.
We also started a mind map around the notion of "soft", to see in which directions it could go.
We ended the session with some skill sharing! Afroditi showed us how to use the digital knitting machine.
More gatherings, fun and news to come!